Saturday, 11 April 2015

Maybelline Colour Drama Lipstick Review/Swatches

Hi all, hope you are having a lovely day. Autumn has fallen upon us in the southern hemisphere. This means we are experiencing cooler and crisper weather that is perfect for a full face of makeup without sweating it all off. Ahh! I like to rock a bright matte lippy to accentuate my small lips, and what better way to celebrate the bright lip look?

I grabbed three of these Maybelline Colour Drama lipsticks which are actually chunky lip pencils that work like a lipstick. 

[  I have to complain about the packaging my local Priceline does. They stuck a lethal sticky tape on the product to prevent people mistaking them for testers. Well, sure you got your point across, it cannot be opened...but that residue? It is so persistently sticky and difficult to scrape off! I wanted to take some model shots of these three babies, but nope, they look kind of botched, so the top of the pencil is what I can  manage to show you. Shame though, because for the price at $6.96 it was a great deal!  ]


I bought the Colour Drama Lipsticks in Fab Orange, Red Essential and Berry Much


Above: Outdoor lighting, the colours was hard to photograph and many attempts turned blurry
(L-R: Fab Orange, Red Essential, Berry Much)


Above: Indoor lighting

For a first time user of these kind of lipsticks in this packaging format, it was a bit tricky to apply them. The colour ran over my natural lip line in the first few attempts, however I worked out a better technique to use these pencils. Use the side like you would to shade a drawing. Apply to the centre first, then smoosh your lips together then apply to the remaining edges. Use the tip of the pencil for the small corners of your mouth. I admit, this is a product that you would need a mirror to ensure perfect application.


^Fab Orange
A gorgeous bright, true orange


^Red Essential
Classic, understated red 
(Dupe for NARS Cruella)


^Berry Much
A romantic cool-toned plummy purple that leans slightly vampy.

All colours are intensely pigmented from one swipe, so you have to be careful when you apply them! The pencils have a slightly creamy texture that makes it so easy to apply. The Colour Drama lipsticks can also feel drying on the lips throughout the wear. Make sure you have smooth, moisturised lips or simply apply lip balm as a base. These pencils can transfer onto cups when drinking, however Red Essential and Berry Much stained after removal, which goes to show their excellent longevity. 

Overall, I am very happy with these lipsticks. I think they come at a very fair price at a little under $7 and you can find these in Chemist Warehouse and Priceline. I would recommend all three of the shades I chose. I love the velvety matte finish and their intense pigmentation. They last really long too, but a meal is questionable. On the downside I think you would need to apply these carefully and sharpen the pencil if you want a sharp tip for precision. 

Win win! Go ahead and buy a couple of shades if you love bright matte colours on your lips!

x lala

No comments:

Post a Comment